Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.

Nashville, TN

Join a local Host Club: Want to connect with Hosts in your area to get tips and advice? It’s easy—join your community’s official Host Group on Facebook!

When deciding whether to become an Airbnb Host, it is important for you to understand the local laws. As a platform and marketplace, we do not provide legal advice, but we want to give you some useful links and information that may help you get familiar with the rules in Nashville. This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local regulations. If you have questions after reviewing this page, we recommend visiting the Codes Department’s Short Term Rental Property Permit Information site, contacting the city directly (, and/or consulting a local lawyer or tax professional.

Short-term rental property regulations

In Nashville and Davidson County, the law requires that anyone wishing to rent a property short-term must receive a permit from the Metro Codes Department prior to listing.

Permit requirements

Short-Term Rental property (STRP) permits are governed by Sec. 6.28.030 of the Metro Nashville code, and consist of two types: owner-occupied and non-owner occupied. It is important to read, review, and understand this regulation in order to comply with its requirements.

  • Owner-occupied Short-Term Rental: An owner-occupied residential dwelling unit containing not more than four sleeping rooms that is used and/or advertised through an online marketplace for rent for transient occupancy by guests.
  • Non-owner occupied Short-Term Rental: A residential dwelling unit that is not owner-occupied containing not more than four sleeping rooms that is used and/or advertised through an online marketplace for rent for transient occupancy by guests.

Obtaining a Short-Term Rental Property permit is an online process. You can follow the instructions on the Codes Department website to submit your permit application. The website also offers checklists to help guide you through the application process. Once permitted, short-term rentals are required to follow certain rules, which can be found here.

Zoning laws

The Metro Nashville code’s district land use table outlines allowable uses of property within each designated zoning district. Consult Sec. 17.08.030 of the code to learn about allowances in your zoning district.

  • Owner-occupied short-term rentals are permitted as an accessory use in all zoning districts that allow residential use excluding NS districts provided a permit has been issued for operation of the property as an STRP pursuant to this section. In industrial zones (IWD, IR and IG), STRP is permitted as an accessory use to a multi-family use associated with manufacturing, artisan use.
  • Non-owner occupied short-term rentals: New non-owner occupied STRP permits are only permitted in certain non-residentially zoned areas, as listed in the District Land Use Table (District Land Use Table PDF Version).


Short-term rental operators are required to remit business, sales and hotel occupancy taxes to the city and state. The Office of the Treasurer has detailed instructions on how to properly register and remain compliant. Airbnb collects applicable state sales and local hotel occupancy taxes on behalf of Hosts in the state of Tennessee.

Permit renewal 

Short-Term Rental property permits (STRP) are only valid for 365 days and must be renewed annually before the current permit expiration date. Owners are responsible for filing a timely renewal application. For assistance and questions, email

Other rules and contracts

It's also important to understand and abide by other contracts or rules that bind you, such as leases, condo board or co-op rules, HOA rules, or rules established by tenant organizations. Please read your lease agreement and check with your landlord, if applicable.

Need additional help?

Contact the City by email at

Did this article help?