When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it is important for you to understand the laws in your county. As a platform and marketplace we do not provide legal advice, but we want to give you some useful links that may help you better understand laws and regulations in Maui County. This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local laws. We’ll continue to update this information as more becomes available. If you have questions, contact the County’s Transient Accommodations Tax Department at 808-270-7637 or email@example.com.
Short-term rental registration
Maui allows short-term rentals (less than 180 consecutive nights) to operate by requiring Hosts to obtain a tax map key and transient accommodations tax licence number. Find out more by reading the Maui's short-term rental page, Tax map key page and the Transient accommodations tax announcement page.
How to register
To comply with this order, the regulations in Maui require you to add your tax map key number and transient accommodations tax licence number to each of your listings.
To register each listing, you will need to do the following:
- Click Switch to hosting
- Click on the Listing you want to update
- Click Policies and rules > Laws and regulations
- Click Edit Regulations
- Click Start to register your listing
- Follow the steps to apply for your transient accommodations tax licence number.
- Once that number is received, repeat steps 1-5 and add your transient accommodations tax licence number and tax map key numbers to complete your registration.
- Repeat these steps for each of your eligible listings.
Short-term rental listings without this information present will be blocked from hosting until the steps are completed.
You are exempt from completing these steps if your calendar settings are set to allow stays of 180 consecutive nights or more, or if you are a Host of a hotel, motel or BnB.
We are committed to working with local officials to help them understand how Airbnb benefits our community. Where needed, we will continue to advocate for changes that will allow regular people to rent out their own homes.
Last updated: Jan 7, 2022
- Hawaii County, HIIf you're thinking about becoming an Airbnb Host, here's some information to help you understand the laws in your city
- GuestTourism tax exemption refundsFind details about tourist tax refunds for specific countries.
- GuestTaxes for guestsThere are a few instances where an Airbnb guest may need to pay tax.