Intensity levels for Airbnb Adventures
Whether you’re in the mood for a lazy day of river tubing, or a heart-pumping whitewater rafting excursion, there’s an Airbnb Adventure to match your speed.
To give guests an idea of what to expect, the Host classifies their Adventure as one of 4 intensity levels. From a web browser, you can find this under Guest requirements. Be sure to read the description of activities carefully to ensure the Adventure is a good fit for you, and feel free to message the Host for more info.
These definitions were created in partnership with the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA):
- Light: Guests should be comfortable sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time. Activities may include things like easy hikes, walking tours, wildlife tours, and cooking or art classes. Any activities which are more strenuous are optional.
- Moderate: Guests should be comfortable participating in multiple hours of physical activity (3+ hours). Activities may include things like longer hikes, biking, kayaking, snorkeling, and horse or camel rides.
- Strenuous: Guests should be comfortable participating in highly physical activities that may last the entire day (6+ hours), and past experience with the included activities is recommended. Full-day activities may include things like long hikes, bike rides, and kayaking. Adventures may also include higher altitudes, steep ascents/descents, strong currents, and rougher terrain or water.
- Extreme: These Adventures are the most physically demanding, so prior experience or related training is strongly advised. Activities are highly challenging and may last the entire day (8+ hours). All-day activities may include things like strenuous hiking, biking over uneven terrain, and intense rock climbing. Adventures may also include higher altitudes, steep ascents/descents, strong currents, and rougher terrain or water.
More helpful info
We recommend that Hosts and guests who participate in an Adventure prepare an emergency plan in the event of a natural disaster or any other kind of emergency. Learn more about making an emergency plan.
All multi-day Adventures include 24/7 community support. Additionally, in the event of a life-threatening injury, Airbnb has partnered with an emergency medevac provider to evacuate an injured person if medically necessary.
Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA): Courtesy of the Adventure Travel Trade Association. ©2019 Adventure Travel Trade Association. All rights reserved.
The Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA) name and logo are used with its permission, which in no way constitutes an endorsement or vetting of, express or implied, of any product, service, person, company, opinion or political position. The ATTA does not select or approve, and is not involved in the selection or approval of, Airbnb Experiences or hosts. For more information about the Adventure Travel Trade Association, visit www.adventuretravel.biz.
- How-to•GuestThe amount of any refund depends on the Host’s cancellation policy and the time and date you cancel.
- How-to•GuestAdventures are small-group, multi-day trips to off-the-beaten-path places that are led by local experts.
- How-to•GuestYou can use our safety plan templates as provided by the American Red Cross and International Federation of the Red Cross Red Crescent.