Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.

Oklahoma City, OK

Join a local Host Club: Want to connect with Hosts in your area to get tips and advice? It’s easy—join your community’s official Host Group on Facebook!

It’s important for you to understand your local laws if you want to become an Airbnb host. We provide a platform and marketplace, but we don’t provide legal advice. Even so, we want to share some information to help you understand laws and other rules that relate to short term rentals in Oklahoma City, OK. The information in this article isn’t exhaustive, but it should help you start your research on local laws.

If you have questions, you can check The City of Oklahoma City's Home Share License page, the City of Oklahoma City Municipal Code or contact the Development Center Business Licensing Center, or another local authority, such as a local lawyer or tax professional.

Building and housing standards

Oklahoma City enforces rules and regulations that specify minimum construction, design, maintenance standards, habitability, health, and safety. Certain regulations applicable to residential uses may be relevant to your listing. Contact City of Oklahoma City Development Services Department directly to find out more.

License requirements

You need a separate Hotel/Motel License for each residential unit you offer for rental. Each license costs $24 per year.

Zoning requirements

Oklahoma City only allows home shares in places that are zoned for residential use. The Municipal Code has separate designations for Citywide Residential Districts and Historic Preservation Districts, with different requirements for each. Contact the Capitol- Medical Zoning Commission at 405-522-0440 for more info if your property is located within the Capitol- Medical Center Improvement Zoning District (CMZ).

Home sharing

The ordinance allows home sharing wherever residential use is permitted so long as your rental activity follows certain conditions:

  • You must obtain a home sharing license for each unit you offer.
  • Any rental may not exceed 30 consecutive days per renter/guest.
  • You comply with any applicable city building codes and city fire codes, such as requirements for smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers.
  • All applicable fees and taxes must be collected and paid.
  • A special exception is required if the home is not your primary residence; or the house is in a Historic Preservation (HP) district.

If you rent your property exclusively for terms exceeding thirty days, you won’t need a home sharing license.

You’ll need to show documentation that proves your listing is your primary residence. Valid documentation includes:

  • A valid Oklahoma driver’s license
  • A state-issued ID
  • Tax documents
  • Automobile registration
  • Proof of voter registration

If you don’t own your primary residence, you’ll also need to provide a copy of your lease and documented permission from the owner of the property.

Historic Preservation District home sharing

In order to host in a Historic Preservation District, the property must be the host’s primary residence, with the host on site at the time of rental, and you’ll need a special exception from the Board of Adjustment.

Non-primary residence rentals

You may need a special exception from the Board of Adjustment in addition to a Hotel/Motel License if you plan to host a rental property that isn’t your primary residence within a residential district. .

Special exception info

The fee for a Home Sharing special exception is $300. Check Chapter 59 (Sections 59- 4250.1 and 59-9350.38.1) of the Oklahoma City Municipal Code for more info about the procedures and standards for special exceptions.

Operational requirements

Oklahoma City requires a number of operational requirements for hosts of homeshare rentals. Maintain these requirements to make sure your license remains in good standing.


The City requires hosts to include an information packet in each of their homeshare rentals that contains their contact information, a local point of contact (if different than the host), safety information, and a list of relevant rules. Oklahoma City requires every listing to have an operable smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and fire extinguisher.

If you rent more than four bedrooms, you need a review for International Building Code compliance. Call Development Services at 405-297-2525 for details.


Review the Oklahoma City Hotel Tax Information Booklet to learn how different taxes apply to your situation. Airbnb collects and pays the Oklahoma City’s Hotel Tax on your behalf. The 5.5% tax applies to the listing price and any cleaning fees within the first 29 nights of any reservation. If you rent on other platforms in addition to Airbnb, you are responsible for collecting and reporting the taxes and fees from any rental arrangement made on those other platforms or through any other means.

Like all businesses in Oklahoma, you must file reports to the Oklahoma Tax Commission and are responsible for related taxes . Check with the Oklahoma City Finance Department for more detailed information about taxes for homeshare rentals.

Adding registration details to your listing(s)

You can add registration details, like a registration or permit number, to your listing. To add this number to your listing, go to Listings, select the listing you want, and add the number under Regulations.

Other contracts and rules

As a host, you need to understand and abide by other contracts or rules that bind you, including leases, co-op rules, HOA rules, or other rules established by tenant organizations. You should be able to find out more by contacting your homeowners' association or landlord. Your lease (or other contract) might also have specific details.

Our commitment to your community

We are committed to working with local officials to clarify how local rules impact the short-term rental community. We will continue to advocate for changes that will enable people to rent out their homes.

Did this article help?