Join a local Host Club: Want to connect with Hosts in your area to get tips and advice? It’s easy—join your community’s official Host Group on Facebook!
When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it is important for you to understand the laws in your city. As a platform and marketplace we do not provide legal advice, but we want to give you some useful links that may help you better understand laws and regulations in Philadelphia. This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local laws. If you have questions, contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections other city agencies directly, or consult a local lawyer or tax professional.
In June 2021, the City of Philadelphia passed updated rules for short-term rental Hosts requiring registration of all short-term rental listings with the office of Licenses and Inspections by April 2022.
A dwelling unit operated as limited lodging must be listed through a booking agent having a Limited Lodging and Hotels Booking Agent License.
The Philadelphia Code classifies short-term rentals into two categories:
1. Limited Lodging – The short-term rental of a unit which has a primary residence. In order to rent your primary residence short-term you will need a Limited Lodging Operator License. You will you will need the following in order to apply:
- Commercial Activity License
- Zoning Permit for Limited Lodging
2. Visitor Accommodations - The rental of a unit that does not have a primary resident. If you are renting a dwelling unit that is not your primary residence, you need a Rental License with a hotel classification. In order to receive this you will need to following:
- Commercial Activity License
- Zoning Permit for Visitor Accommodations
License numbers must be clearly displayed on all advertisements for the short-term rental unit and licenses must be renewed annual.
Comprehensive information including the application process, fees and renewals are available on the City’s website. We also encourage you to consult the Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more.
Applications can be completed online using eCLIPSE. If you need help filing your application online, you can schedule a virtual appointment.
If you would like to apply in person, you need an appointment to visit the Permit and License Center.
Please contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections Department directly for additional information.
- General questions about the Airbnb Community CommitmentLearn more about the comprehensive effort to fight bias and discrimination in the Airbnb community.
- Cambridge, MAIf you're thinking about becoming an Airbnb Host, here's some information to help you understand the laws in your city
- GuestWhat’s expected of Hosts and their ExperiencesExperience Hosts must demonstrate expertise, insider access, and connection, which helps ensure the market has high-quality Experiences led …