Airbnb’s 5-step enhanced cleaning process
The 5-step cleaning process is a set of cleaning practices that all Hosts are required to follow between guest stays, in addition to following their local laws and guidelines.
Step 1: Prepare
Proper preparation can help you and your team clean more efficiently and more safely. Make sure to:
- Ventilate the space before and during cleaning, when possible
- Use disinfectants approved by your local regulatory agencies for use against COVID-19
- Always read the directions and warnings on your cleaning products carefully
- Wash or disinfect your hands
Step 2: Clean
Cleaning is when you remove dust and dirt from surfaces, such as floors and countertops. Make sure to:
- Sweep, vacuum, dust, and/or mop areas before sanitizing
- Wash dishes and laundry at the highest heat setting possible
- Wipe down hard surfaces with soap and water
Step 3: Sanitize
Sanitizing is when you use chemicals to reduce the number of bacteria on surfaces such as doorknobs and TV remotes. Make sure to:
- Spray high-touch surfaces in each room with an approved disinfectant spray
- Let the disinfectant stand for the length of time specified on the product label
- Allow the surface to air-dry
Step 4: Check
To access custom cleaning checklists, go to Insights > Cleaning. Make sure to:
- Refer to the best practices in each room-by-room checklist to make sure that all areas are cleaned and sanitized between each stay
- Share these best practices with your hosting team and cleaning professionals
Step 5: Reset
To help prevent cross-contamination, it's important to finish cleaning and sanitizing a room before replacing items for the next guest. Make sure to:
- Wash your hands before replacing guest supplies, linens, and cleaning kits
- Safely dispose of or wash cleaning supplies and protective gear
- Don’t re-enter a room once it’s been sanitized
- Clean your equipment between each turnover
This process is based on Airbnb’s cleaning handbook, which was developed in consultation with experts in the fields of sanitization and medicine.
From your account, you can go to Insights > Cleaning to download the full cleaning handbook and find more resources, training, and custom cleaning checklists.
Committing to the cleaning process is required for all listings
Hosts who don’t agree to the COVID-19 safety practices, including the 5-step enhanced cleaning process, may be unable to accept new reservations.
These practices require mask wearing and social distancing when required by local laws or guidelines, and following the 5-step enhanced cleaning process. Hosts who repeatedly or severely violate cleaning standards may be subject to warnings, suspensions, and in some cases, removal from the Airbnb platform.
Sharing your commitment to enhanced cleaning with guests
After you or a member of your hosting team commits to the cleaning process, your commitment to enhanced cleaning will be shown to guests on your listing.